This job is no longer available
Who we are looking for
The PwC Actuarial & Insurance Management Solutions (AIMS) practice comprises of over 250 partners and staff. With offices in London, Edinburgh, Manchester and Bristol, our consultants focus on life, non life, banking and non insurance, led by a twelve strong partner team headed by Charles Garnsworthy. This makes us the largest insurance practice within the large accounting firms.
Our roles in London are based in our flagship More London Riverside office where we moved to in early 2011. The London team is the largest of the AIMS offices, with opportunities to work both across the UK and abroad in Europe or globally.
AIMS is planning to expand significantly against a background of high client demand for actuarial services, driven in part by Solvency II where we are recognised as one of the leaders in the development of best practice in the UK. Our ambition is for sustainable growth and to double in size over the next 5 years. Our clients include a number of the leading UK insurers and European multinationals, such as Aegon, Axa, JP Morgan, Lloyds Banking Group, Liberty Syndicates and LMIE, Old Mutual, Phoenix, Prudential, RBS and more.
AIMS strategy firmly looks beyond Solvency II implementation to establish sustainable growth and reinforce our market-leading position. We continue to invest in core areas of our life insurance work including financial reporting, corporate restructuring and mergers & acquisitions, financial modelling, enterprise risk management. A significant and increasing amount of our work is coming from Continental Europe. AIMS plays a leading role in the 800 strong actuarial community in PwC worldwide,
We have a strong sense of culture developed over our 30 year history. We work in a friendly, positive and vibrant atmosphere, where people are encouraged to take responsibility at an early stage and proactively develop their career. We seek to develop accomplished consultants, not just technically strong actuaries. This means exposure to a wide range of project situations, often working with specialists from other disciplines within PwC such as Transaction Services, Regulatory, Risk Advisory, Corporate Finance, Business Recovery/Restructuring, Forensics, Tax, Accounting and Internal Audit.
The individuals recruited would have a strong background either as a recognised strong life consultant or from successfully delivering significant actuarially related projects from within the life industry.
In recognition of the need to invest in future growth of the practice, we are looking for individuals who not only have demonstrated relevant technical skills and experience, but who also have the potential with development support to lead on key client accounts and product areas, using strong relationship and people management skills.
PwC offer an unparalleled development framework which not only ensures our consultants have strong technical experience, but also supports wider softer skills which are vital to success with our clients. We will ensure that the successful candidates will have a tailored development plan, which will enable progression to more senior levels within the practice in a relatively short timescale.
About the role
PwC is seeking Consultants from a catastrophe risk background to join their UK Actuarial & Insurance Management Solutions (AIMS) practice.
We would expect the successful candidates to take an active role both in current engagements as well as in the strategic development of the AIMS propositions in the area of modelling and actuarial advisory.
The candidate will be actively involved in the development of new and existing client relationships and is expected to maintain a strong personal profile internally in PwC and externally in the market to seek out new business opportunities.
On a day-to-day basis the candidate will lead, manage and deliver a wide range of concurrent actuarial and multidisciplinary assignments, and act as the clients main point of day-to-day contact on assignments.
The successful candidate will:
• Have a Degree in a scientific or financial subject
• Have spent most of their career to date in the non-life and re/insurance market, either within a company or a consultancy
• Have knowledge of the components of the main catastrophe models available on the market (AIR, EQECAT, RMS)
• Have experience of pricing catastrophe risks using multiple vendor model (AIR, EQECAT, RMS)
• Have a wider commercial awareness, including the understanding of wider business issues
• Be a qualified or student Actuary (desirable)
• Have strong oral, listening and written communication skills.
• Have the potential to develop strong people management, client handling and development skills, including inter-personal sensitivity and influencing skills.
• Have demonstrated an aptitude to develop good client/internal client handling skills, including relationship-building skills that lead to increased consulting opportunities.
• Have strong project and financial management skills. The ability to deliver to budget and within timescales is an important skill. We are looking for people with a flexible attitude and the ability to multi-task effectively. Have strong technical, problem identification and analytical skills, most likely with at least one specialist area of experience.
• Be commercial, with the ability and experience of working within a broader insurance environment, and with vision as to developments at our clients and opportunities for consulting business.
• Be strongly committed to both personal and corporate success.
• Be self-motivated, in particular taking responsibility for personal development in technical and broader consulting skills.
Our people need to demonstrate a defined set of core skills and behaviours. We refer to these as our global core competencies. They're integral to who we are as a firm and form the basis of our people appraisal process. We will also assess you against them within our recruitment process to benchmark your own skills and behaviours. We recommend you visit the below web page to find out more about our global core competencies and to consider how your own experiences will align against them. This will help you through the recruitment process with us.