This job is no longer available
Who we are looking for
To support ongoing growth in the non-traditional areas of its actuarial consultancy, PwC is seeking Senior and Principal Consultant level individuals with specific technical skills and experience. The roles will be based in our new office at More London Riverside, sitting within the Actuarial & Insurance Management Solutions (AIMS) practice within Assurance.
The roles will cover a range of areas including credit risk modelling (both corporate and retail), capital modelling under Basel, and impairment provisioning. It may also include projects focused on asset valuation, financial instruments and derivatives, risk management, market risk and liquidity. They will suit individuals who are looking for new challenges and believe that they can leverage their existing skills in a new environment, who are able to work well as part of a team, and who are responsible, decisive, clear-thinking and motivated.
About the role
The AIMS practice comprises over 250 partners and staff and works in a friendly, positive and vibrant atmosphere, where people are encouraged to take responsibility at an early stage. Ongoing growth in non-traditional areas of actuarial consultancy has led the AIMS practice to seek additional team members with appropriate skills and experience to support development of the business. PwC seeks to develop accomplished consultants. This means exposure to a wide range of project situations (often working with specialists from other disciplines within PwC such as Transaction Services, Regulatory, Risk Advisory, Corporate Finance, Business Recovery/Restructuring, Forensics, Tax, Accounting and Internal Audit), clients and industries, as well as opportunities for secondments in the UK and overseas.
The AIMS practice has an unrivalled client base and breadth of projects. Within the insurance sector, we have advised 18 out of the Top 20 UK insurers, a wide cross-section of the London Market, major global reinsurers and bancassurers. Our non-insurance clients include investment banks, retail banks, private equity houses, hedge funds, HM Treasury, primary care trusts, local authorities, multinational oil and gas companies, pharmaceuticals, manufacturers in light and heavy industries, telecoms companies, retailers and mining conglomerates.
Client assignments across the practice cover areas such as credit risk modelling, capital modelling, model validation, enterprise risk management, financial modelling and data mining, financial and commercial due, reporting accountant roles, corporate restructuring, pricing and transfer pricing, financial reporting, specialist support to internal audits of functional areas, performance improvement/business process re-engineering, reinsurance strategy and modelling, and support to statutory audits (focussing on the adequacy of technical provisions and governance and controls around the reserving process).
Principal accountabilities include:
• To provide pragmatic and commercial modelling and related solutions, and the highest quality of service, to our clients at all times in order to maintain and enhance the firm’s standing and market reputation.
• To apply modelling skills and experience to a wide variety assignments in both the banking industry and outside financial services.
• The role requires excellent academic ability and commercial awareness, and an ability to quickly assimilate leading edge modelling solutions and advise our clients appropriately.
• To be proactive in contributing to and initiate research and development projects.
• To develop new and existing client relationships, including through client handling as the main point of day-to-day contact on assignments.
• To be actively involved in the development of new work opportunities from both existing and new clients, including playing a pivotal role in client pitches and proposals.
• To manage and coach other team members and ensure the timely delivery of assignments.
• To lead or contribute to the development of new consulting product/offering opportunities.
• To lead or contribute to the development and distribution of information or training programmes that enhance the department’s and clients’ understanding of key issues.
• To actively raise personal profile internally and externally and enhance the firm’s reputation.
There are a variety of different day-to-day management and development opportunities, including providing counselling and development support to a team of qualified actuaries and actuarial students. There are also opportunities to work with our teams in other areas of the UK and the US, Australia and Europe.
This role would suit a candidate who has excelled in their current role but is looking to develop into a senior management role within industry or a consultancy environment.
• Credit risk modelling.
• Strong problem solving and logical reasoning skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including inter-personal sensitivity and influencing skills.
• Strong oral, listening and written communication skills, especially communication of technical concepts to a non-technical audience.
• Strong people management, handling and developments skills.
• Strong quantitative, technical, problem identification and analytical skills.
• Commercial awareness with the ability and experience of working within a broader business environment.
• Strong project and financial management skills, particularly in prioritising effectively.
• Ability to deliver to budget and within timescales, flexible attitude and the ability to multi-task effectively.
• Good internal/external client handling skills, including relationship-building skills, and the ability to manage staff relationships with clients.
• Strongly committed to both personal and corporate success.
• Experience of statistical packages (e.g. SAS).
• Programming experience (e.g.VBA, C++, Matlab or Visual Basic).
• Practical knowledge of VaR and related methodologies.